- Lessons 17
- Quizzes 1
- Assignments 0
- Discussions 0
- Duration Unlimited
- Students 13
- Certificates Yes
- Badges No
Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Blood Sugar Regulation
Length of course: 4 hours 45 min
This course reviews the etiological factors associated with the development of type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome and blood sugar dysregulation. It also reviews key genetic markers for predisposition to these conditions as well as standard medical treatment. The course takes a deep-dive into evidence-based complementary interventions shown to improve the management of these conditions as well as to help reduce risk, and where possible, reverse diabetic complications, such as cataracts, macular degeneration, heart disease, peripheral vascular disease, chronic kidney disease and neuropathy.
1. The student will have an in-depth understanding of the pathophysiology involved in type 1 and type 2 diabetes, along with common complications of theses disease that impact morbidity and mortality.
2. The student will have an understanding the medical management of these conditions as well as the human published studies showing the importance of diet, supplementation and exercise shown to improve diabetic outcomes.
3. The student will have the skills to provide diabetic patients with personalized recommendations regarding diet, supplementation and exercise, in the complementary management of diabetes and/or its complications (i.e. macular degeneration), or reverse risk factors for diabetes in pre-diabetic patients.
Diabetes Course Notes & Required Reading
- lesson5 Antioxidant Supplements in the Prevention and Management of Cataracts
- lessonH06 Bilberry
- lessonVitamin D Supplementation Improves Glucose and Insulin Function in Overweight Prediabetic Adults
- lessonInfluence of Vitamin D on Diabetes, Hypertension, Cardiovascular Disease
- lessonDiabetes Course Notes (Slides)
Diabetes / Lessons
- lesson1. Diabetes Slides 1-10
- lesson2. Diabetes Slides 11-33
- lesson3. Diabetes Slides 34-43
- lesson4. Diabetes Slides 44-56
- lesson5. Diabetes Slides 57-70
- lesson6. Diabetes Slides 71-78
- lesson7. Diabetes Slides 79-94
- lesson8. Diabetes Slides 95-108
- lesson9. Diabetes Slides 109-115
- lesson10. Diabetes Slides 116-122
- lesson11. Diabetes Slides 122-129
- lesson12. Diabetes Slides 130-135